Wednesday, June 28, 2006

A Republican South Dakotan Wakes Up

I heard that Sen. Clarence Kooistra of Garretson, SD has left the Republican party and registered as a democrat. His primary reason for leaving: "I and many of my constituents do not support abortion, but neither do we support legislation that violates the United States Constitution,” Kooistra said in a statement. “The abortion issue has never been a major part of my agenda, and I have never supported abortion nor can I support legislation that makes felons out of medical doctors who perform safe abortions that are a result of rape or incest.”

Bravo, sensible person.

"Medical decisions should be left to doctors and patients, not politicians in Pierre," said Dr. Marvin Buehner of Rapid City, a co-chair for the South Dakota Campaign for Healthy Families, a group that opposes the ban.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home